Charlotte Celebrates NC Beer Month
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (April 4, 2016) – From top taprooms to hoppy happenings all month long, Charlotte’s overflowing with ways to explore craft beer during NC Beer Month and beyond. North Carolina boasts more craft breweries than any other state in the South, and Charlotte’s hops are among the top with nearly two dozen craft breweries in operation or on the way and even more just outside the city. Here are a few ways to explore what Charlotte’s got on tap.
Throughout April, Charlotte will be hopping with events that showcase the city’s burgeoning craft beer scene. Release parties, beer dinners, festivals, tastings and more will fill the city’s calendar, showcasing a penchant for pints that makes it the “Newest Hub for Craft Beer” according to Fortune.
- Brews & Brackets Challenge at Sugar Creek Brewing Co. on Monday, April 4
- Craft Beer Appreciation Class at Legion Brewing on Tuesday, April 5
- Summer Sippers Tap Takeover with Charlotte Beer Babes at Growler USA on Wednesday, April 6
- Bluegrass and Brews with Billy Strings at Sugar Creek Brewing Co. on Thursday, April 7
- Imperialistic Red IPA Special Release at D9 Brewing Co. on Friday, April 8
- Tap Room Only Spring Bee-R Release at Sugar Creek Brewing Co. on Saturday, April 9
- Cooking with Beer Featuring NoDa Brewing Company at Chef Alyssa’s Kitchen on Wednesday, April 13 and Thursday, April 14
- Moo and Brew Craft Beer and Burger Festival at AvidXchange Music Factory on Saturday, April 16
- Bayne’s 2nd Annual Craft Beer Olympics at Bayne Brewing Company on Saturday, April 16
- New Sarum Brewing Company’s Grand Opening Celebration at New Sarum Brewing Company on Saturday, April 16
- Ales for Autism at NoDa Brewing Company on Saturday, April 16
- Full Moon Party at Sycamore Brewing from Friday, April 22 to Sunday, April 24
- Tuck Fest at the U.S. National Whitewater Center on Saturday, April 23
- Louisiana Spring Fest at The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery on Saturday, April 23
- Charlotte Brews Cruise every Saturday in April
CLT Clash of the Crafts Beer Bracket
For the first year ever, a March Madness-style bracket will seek to crown the people's choice champion of Charlotte's locally brewed beer. CLT Clash of the Crafts kicked off March 18, and a winner will be announced on April 27. Beer enthusiasts can vote for their favorite IPA, Seasonal/Specialty, Pale Ale or Porter/Stout. Log onto cltontap.com to cast votes for the CLT Clash of the Crafts champion and see below for the voting schedule:
- Sweet 16 oz. Voting: Wednesday, March 30 – Sunday, April 3
- Tailgate Eight Voting: Wednesday, April 6 – Sunday, April 10
- Final Four Pours Voting: Wednesday, April 13 – Sunday, April 17
- CLT Clash of the Crafts Championship Voting: Wednesday, April 20 – Sunday, April 24
- 2016 CLT Clash of the Crafts Champion Announced: Wednesday, April 27
Ultimate Craft Beer Weekend Sweepstakes
In celebration of NC Beer Month, the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority (CRVA) is giving away an Ultimate Craft Beer Weekend for one lucky winner and his/her guest. The sweepstakes is open from Friday, April 1 to Saturday, April 30. One winner will be selected at random to receive the prize, which includes:
- The Westin Charlotte: a two-night stay with a meal at JP Charlotte restaurant
- Charlotte Brews Cruise: two seats on a brewery tour of your choice
- Yellow Cab of Charlotte: a $50 gift card
- The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery: dinner with the brewer and a behind-the-scenes tour
- Lenny Boy Brewing Co.: a free beer sampler for two
- Heist Brewery: brunch with beer samples
- Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery: a gift card to sample various beer and bites pairings
Social Tap Takeovers
As part of NC Beer Month, Charlotte breweries will take over the ‘Charlotte’s got a lot’ Instagram and Twitter accounts throughout the month, giving ‘Charlotte’s got a lot’ followers an insider’s view of each brewery and its events. Be sure to follow @charlottesgotalot on Instagram and @charlottgotalot on Twitter for a behind-the-scenes look at the following breweries (participating breweries are subject to change):
- Free Range Brewing (@freerangebrew on Instagram and @freerangebrew Twitter)
- NoDa Brewing Company (@nodabrewing on Instagram and @nodabrewing Twitter)
- Lenny Boy Brewing Co. (@lennyboybrewingco on Instagram and @lennyboybrew on Twitter)
- The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery (@oldemeckbrew on Instagram and @oldemeckbrew Twitter)
- Birdsong Brewing Co. (@birdsongbrewing on Instagram and @birdsongbrewing Twitter)
- Heist Brewery (@heistbrewery on Instagram and @heistbrewery Twitter)
- Sycamore Brewing (@sycamorebrewing on Instagram and @sycamorebrewing on Twitter)
Spreading the Beer Love
Charlotte beer will be all the buzz both online and off in April. Through various promotions and social media engagement, locals and visitors will have the opportunity to win Charlotte beer swag and learn more about the beer scene in the Queen City:
- Social media giveaway opportunities for those who use #cltontap
- cltontap.com pint glasses, coasters and T-shirt giveaways to local breweries, bottle shops and beer bars
- Charlotte beer street team on-site activation
- Duckworth’s Grill & Taphouse Uptown – Friday, April 8 from 5 to 7 p.m. and Saturday, April 9 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Mortimer’s Cafe & Pub at the EpiCentre – Friday, April 22 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- BlackFinn Ameripub at the EpiCentre – Saturday, April 23 from 6 to 8 p.m.
Beer Experts at the Ready
Charlotte’s biggest beer advocates at the CRVA are serving up special beer-related story angles all month long. Learn more about how far the city has come as a beer destination, what’s on the horizon and why beer is helping put Charlotte on the map through a special weekly content series in April.
- Week of April 4: Why Charlotte is the next big beer town
- Week of April 11: What’s new in Charlotte beer
- Week of April 18: What to know about each craft brewery in Charlotte
- Week of April 25: Top 16 reasons to visit Charlotte breweries in 2016
With so much to do, see and sip, there is no better time to explore Charlotte. For more information on events, attractions, hotels, dining and more, visit cltontap.com or call the Visitor Info Center at 800-231-4636.
(In celebration of NC Beer Month, this five-part content series about Charlotte as a beer destination features facts and information that help tell the story of the city’s burgeoning craft beer scene.)
High resolution photos are available for download here.
About the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority (CRVA)
The Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority (CRVA) works to deliver experiences that uniquely enrich the lives of our visitors and residents. Through leadership in destination development, marketing and venue management expertise, the CRVA leads efforts to maximize the region’s economic potential through visitor spending, creating jobs and opportunities for the community. Brands supported by the CRVA include the Charlotte Convention Center, Time Warner Cable Arena, Bojangles’ Coliseum, Ovens Auditorium, NASCAR Hall of Fame and Visit Charlotte in conjunction with the region’s destination marketing brand, ‘Charlotte’s got a lot.’ For more information about Charlotte, visit charlottesgotalot.com.